Saturday, November 25, 2006

some flattery going on


“laura ruth,” i say,

“but what’s the point?!!”

sisters chuckle their nods:

ain’t it the truth!


but she’s on a roll

her pride and tradition

won’t have none of you.


girl! when are you going to learn?

ever since you known me

and ever since i known me,

concise

is not in my vocabulary.


you ask about my point: listen closer.

each time you hurry me

it’s like you move my home

a foot farther north.

let me tell you, sweet sister,

i have already given up

my present tense

to be in this climate,

do not ask me to give up my past.


she doesn’t miss a beat,

catching the last tangent

as she winds its way

ever farther in the story line.

the more i try for her brevity

the taller her tale becomes.

we all know

there’s some flattery going on here,

so i let my sister

have her exaggerations and her inventions,

because she has her whisps of truth.


truth is small and sacred,

as invisible as a hurricane.

those whisps she offers

knock me square & speechless…


she just picks up the slack.


(cc) Karen G. Johnston

No comments: