Thursday, September 20, 2007

For Purposes of Print

It had become History; with it there was now

no variableness neither shadow of turning.

Isak Dinesen


Saturated with imperialist condescension,

she wrote of Native awe at the

written word making permanent

what had previously been unfixed.


I, who has been surrounded by written words my whole life,

in my childhood bedroom, with shelves

made from cinder blocks and plywood;

in my house growing up, with my father’s thrillers and my mother’s novels;

in my schools, with teachers fostering my gifts to climb up and out;

in this town now, with its abundant used book stores

where one can graze for hours of delight;

I am struck by that very same awe.


How my poet’s version of our lover’s quarrel

trumps your fading memory

for having put pen to paper.


Yes, history is written by the victors.

Yet written or otherwise,

my words will never bring you back.


(cc) Karen G. Johnston

1 comment:

Vegcar.net said...

This is a very beautiful, witty piece. I love how it has layers, within layers, within the layer of the poem itself. Bravo.

Dan