Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Molten Joy

Crucial is molten joy,

burning me into the ground,

scorching pampass grass

still sharp as ever.


I walk in its midst,

slight nicks at my ankles,

calves and shoulders

sing in the sweat.


Not lullaby, but the blues,

high-pitched, momentary,

til what I’ve done

is walk clear out.


A yellow-throated warbler

chastises as I pass under her.

I can’t tell day or night,

the light is so muddling,

my heart is that open, that hidden,

anything seems probable.


No matter:

I put tongue to wrist,

suck at the sour salt.


Anything probable?

When feet brand

their own footprints,

the only answer is yes.



(cc) Karen G. Johnston

1 comment:

Bob Hoeppner said...

>Crucial is molten joy

makes me think of joy melting in a crucible, as well as it being critically important.