Wednesday, April 9, 2008

New Same Grief

She does not yet

share my curves.

Nor will she ever.


Another woman’s bodystory

best guesses when first blood

will engorge, trickle, then seep.

She will wear the echo

of some other woman’s body.

Its reverberation is the one

that chimes my daughter’s bodyclock

of egg drop, of bud burst.


It is the new same grief.

Like when I couldn’t name her,

she who came to me

two days past two

and quite already

the whole of her given name.


It is the new same grief.

Like when I had to reply

I don’t know

What was my first word?

When did I learn to walk?

I don’t know how come

she couldn’t be a live-with mommy?


Blood. Bone. Body.

These bounded things

that wither away.


My solace –

large enough,

and more:

though body

may forever

be mystery,

not she.

Not her love.


(cc) Karen G. Johnston

1 comment:

Bob Hoeppner said...

I really like this one, especially

my daughter’s bodyclock of egg drop, of bud burst.

The solace of neither her nor her love being a mystery makes me wonder: is she not yet a teenager? Because that's when the mysteries begin!