Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Hrant Dink

Rakel, the wife of late Turkish-Armenian editor Hrant Dink, releases doves into the air as her daughter Sera (R) cries during Dink's funeral ceremony in Istanbul January 23, 2007. REUTERS/Stringer




Silent crowds carried placards reading "We are all Armenians". They paused and applauded as they passed the place where Hrant Dink was shot. (Associated Press)

~~~~~~~~~~
I also saw a powerful photo, in my local paper today but cannot find it on the web, of a protester holding a sign that said "WE ARE ALL HRANT". Made me cry (and my adolescent son shake his head in disbelief at his mother's sentimental reactions...).

Yet this isn't sentiment; it is outrage and despair and resignation and a small, but still present, determination to do what I can in this world to live into that grief. "We are all Hrant". Nothing is more true. Great prophets tell us this, we must tell each other this, with our words and our actions.

No comments: